[wplug] ftp server setup - okay, maybe not...

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 02:32:54 EDT 2003

--- Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
<SNIP>
> # to bring the interface up at boot:
> auto eth0
>
> Then you can manually enable/disable interfaces
> using:
>
> ifup eth0
> ifdown eth0

Thanks - The /etc/network/interfaces file was already
set up, except for the "auto eth0" line.

I added "auto eth0" to the interfaces file.

To test the configuration, I did:
#ifup eth0
#ping www.yahoo.com

It worked.

Then one mystery became two.

1) no-can-do apt-get:
I said:
#apt-get install (packagename)

My system replied:
Reading Package Lists...Done
Building Dependency Tree...Done
E: Couldn't find package (packagename)

It is, at least, being perfectly consistent. Same
result each time.

2) auto-eth0 no-go:
I've rebooted several times since adding "auto eth0"
to the interfaces file. Each time, pinging an outside
address has worked only after I did this:
#ifup eth0 - just as the "auto eth0" were not in the
interfaces file at all.

At boot time, the startup output includes a couple of
lines about setting Rx mode on eth0, and several lines
that begin with DHCPDISCOVER - might either of these
have something to do with the failure of "auto eth0"?

E.