[wplug] Blind Linux

Shawn L. Djernes shawn at djernes.org
Tue Apr 22 22:31:04 EDT 2003

Hello,

Well here is the I am blind perspective that you all have been waiting for.
Right now on Linux the console is the only way to go.  We have a working
screen reader called SpeakUp http://www.linux-speakup.org  If you are
working with a Newbe computer user then this is a great thing to start with
hoping she knows how to type.  You will need to be quite familiar with the
console your self so that when she wants to learn how to do new things like
use mpg123 or pine you can lead her through at first.  The only problem with
this scenario at the moment is that you need a hardware synthesizer.  This
is a box or card (if you have an old enough computer with ISA slots).  You
may want to talk to some people in the local blind community and see what
people have to give away or sell cheap.  The DoubleTalk LT is the cheapest
at about $300 but sounds quite robotic.  The best sounding one is a DecTalk
Express which retail for about $1100.

If she is already using a computer in school then the best thing for now is
to use what ever she has there.  So if they have her on Jaws for Windows or
WindowEyes then setup a Windows 98 or XP Home box and let her go.  When she
gets more experimentitive and the Gnopernicus (Gnome Screen Reader) gets
further along then she can try something new.

Oh and if you need to buy any technology for her I am part of a local
company that sells and does training on technology for people that are Blind
or Visually Impaired.  Athena Computer Technology, LLC
http://www.athenacomp.com (412)220-4455

Thanks,
Shawn Djernes, N0PEU