[wplug] Samba share question XPP, Win98, WinME

Frank W. Holden Jr. frankh at zelie.com
Sun Apr 13 21:49:29 EDT 2003

Hi again Randy. With the Win9X series you didn't have the ability to
do a connect as a particular user UNLESS the username and password is
being used on that machine. If the samba account is needed for:
UserName: Bonkers
Password: WinSnore
then Bonkers has to be the user name on the machine as the login on
the Win9X series box and that persons pasword has to be WinSnore. Now,
you can install the security policies from the Win9X CD. This is a
real snot of a job in my book. Then you will have a little more
flexibility, but not enough! The encryption that the 9X series uses
stinks! This is why I have always used NO ENCRYPTION when W9X boxes
are on the network...

Several have stated to install NetBEUI on all the boxes. M$ doesn't
recomend this with W2K or XP. The protocol is basically safe, but it
is indiginous to WinSnore machines only! There is no NetBEUI for *NIX
machines... SPX/IPX along with TCP/IP is the transport protocol(s)
used for Samba. These protocols are routable and NetBEUI is not, so no
connections via the internet. NetBEUI has no real security other than
the fact it ISN'T routable.

Example:
I have a whole network up and running with NO NetBEUI using W9X series
boxes using a W2K server (if that is what you want to call it!) and
NONE of the machines can see anything to browse on the network, but
EVERY share is available on ALL machines to ALL machines. You just
can't see them and it is set that way. I even have specific network
compliant programs running their own shares to the slave client 9X
boxes. Calendars, schedulers and databases use this connection
efficiently! No encryption works well between W2K and W9X boxes
without flaw. If needed a small LRP-Router (386-25MHzDX 16MB) can be
used to keep the internet out of your network. I see you have a router
already so a DMZ can be setup if security is in question. This is what
I use on a lawyers network and you know they can be a bigger pain in
a$$ than a large corp... Todate there has been many attempts to crack
the system with NO successes!!! (No I won't tell you the IP!)

Drawback, you see 'NOTHING' when you browse the network, but it is ALL
there to use! If you NEED to be able to browse the network, why I
wouldn't know, then you have to set the Linux box as a master
everything browser with all accounts browsable and set each WinSnore
box to broadcast so they are seen by the master browser. An XP or W2K
machine will fight it out with the Linux box, but the Linux box WILL
win! The master browser will keep track of what is out there for you
and announce it to every machine. My personal home network is setup so
the shares are there to be seen for the rest of the family, not me...

Frank

PS - YES, the W9X machines are causing the problems for you and there
isn't really anything you can do but to step back and punt the
encryption out!

--

"When business interfers with pleasure, give up business!!!"-fwh-

<->     The future of "ALL MANKIND" lies within himself!        <->
<-> Until he figures out who he is, then he can never know me,  <->
<->     and to know me is to know the WORLD... -fwh-            <->
<->                           frankh at zelie.com                  <->
<->                           Some dumb Ham radio operator      <->
Disclaimer:<standard dodo.c>