[wplug] Samba share question XPP, Win98, WinME

Randy Kosarik randykos at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 22:21:10 EDT 2003

I agree, NETBUI is not needed.

Actually, I am going to kick myself because I had the answer from the
beginning.
This little bit of time in Linux is spoiling me and I never rebooted the
Win9x machines after the registry change.
I did end up adding the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP\EnablePlain
TextPassword and set it true.

This will leave the Win9x/Me talk to the Samba in Plain Text - sufficient
for my needs.
Whereas I can keep the XP machines encrypted.

> the Win9X series box and that persons pasword has to be WinSnore. Now,
> you can install the security policies from the Win9X CD. This is a
> real snot of a job in my book. Then you will have a little more
> flexibility, but not enough! The encryption that the 9X series uses
> stinks! This is why I have always used NO ENCRYPTION when W9X boxes
> are on the network...

I have been fortunate in not requiring use of a DMZ but once - and only then
for a brief period.
I see constant attacks on both routers/firewalls also.

> used to keep the internet out of your network. I see you have a router
> already so a DMZ can be setup if security is in question. This is what
> I use on a lawyers network and you know they can be a bigger pain in
> a$$ than a large corp... Todate there has been many attempts to crack
> the system with NO successes!!! (No I won't tell you the IP!)

Thanks for input, I am still rereading and taking notes.
-Randy