[wplug] Samba share question XPP, Win98, WinME

Frank W. Holden Jr. frankh at zelie.com
Sun Apr 13 18:30:07 EDT 2003

Hi Randy. Name is Frank. You can actually make ALL 4 talk to each
other via Samba. I have and don't go through the hassle of using the
encrypted password. I turn off encryption in all of them since I am
behind a pretty tight firewall. Here is what is needed to turn them off:

W9x series: I takes the a W98/98SE CD. Go to the ?:\TOOLS\mtsutil
directory and right click on the ptxt_on.inf file and tell it to
install. This turns off the encrypted passwords and lets plain text
passwords through. REBOOT... If you want it to broadcast the shares
then turn this on in the IPX/SPX network entry.

2k/XP-flavors: Go to administrative tools - Local Security Settings -
Local Policies - Security Options... About 6 entries from the bottom
you have to ENABLE "Send unencrypted password to connect to third-
party SMB servers". REBOOT... I have tried the registry entries for
W9X and they do not work along with serval other entries...

You will have to configure Samba shares to broadcast each account too!
This is not a necessity though!!! As long as you KNOW what the share
names are, then you can still get a connection to them. This is
somewhat of a secure thing if you can't see the share names, but they
can be found out anyway from a *NIX box and the Samba tool package.
You can query each machine 1 by 1 on what shares it has available and
it will give them up.

Hope this helps!
Frank