[wplug] Low system requirements distro

Rick Harris ftumph at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 22:29:15 EDT 2003

Hi Scott,

I have Mandrake 8.1 running on a Pentium 100 with 16
Mb RAM.  The machine can't boot off the CD, but I
could create a boot floppy off the install CD and it
took it from there.  No X, but it makes a great file
server.  It doesn't take much brains to be a file
server, at least if you're running an efficient OS :-)

Oh, and it's been up for several months.

- Rick

--- Scott Bourns <scott at scottbourns.com> wrote:
> Okay, guys and gals.
>
> I have a Pentium 100, 8MB RAM, 800 MB HD I want to
> save from the graveyard,
> while impressing my boss by making it useful. ;-p
>
> I only need it for a Telnet station, but I haven't
> had much luck searching
> for a Linux distro that will fit the system.
>
> Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction,
> please? Text mode is
> perfectly fine, as well. Besides, I assume that¹s my
> only choice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

=====