[wplug] Residential DSL in Pittsburgh

R.E.Coutch vze57qmg at verizon.net
Mon Apr 7 13:10:01 EDT 2003

I use Verizon and am happy so far.
I have heard others state some dissatisfaction with them.

I get faily consistant 700+ kbps download speeds (90kbps in real world
network standards).

I like the fact that they bundled my local, regional and long distance
with the DSL for a total of around $65 / month.

Verizon is COMPLETELY  STUPID ( for lack of a better description) when
it comes to support.
The front line people you speak to can pretty much read from a script to
help trouble shoot BASIC problems with
Mac or Windows computers.

My complaint was the initial Verizon setup.

Instead of giving me a username and password (like every other ISP on
the planet does) so I could set up my Linksys router for PPoE,
I HAD to install and run the Windows/Mac ONLY installation software.

I was a bit P.O.'d but used my wife's computer to get our username and
password.
I then deleted all that garbage off her PC and entered the data into the
router.

If it wasn't for the initial DSL setup issues, I would say I'm 100%
satisfied.

I complained not only about the lack of Linux support but about the fact
I couldn't get my account info without
being forced to install  their software on a Windows PC.

I'm sure my words fell on deaf ears.

-Bob