[wplug] first language

Russ Schneider russpgh at stargate.net
Tue Apr 1 10:42:35 EST 2003

Scott Bourns wrote:
> I need some advice from sys/net admins and web gurus about a first
> programming language to start with.

Well I'm a Web Developer, so I learned JavaScript, PHP, ASP, VBscript
(the last two I had to learn to stay employed), etc.

But wanting to really expand my chops, I decided to learn C.  I'm
learning it now, and it's really teaching me critical "programming
thinking", if that makes any sense.

The languages I learned above, never took me more than a few days to get
the hang of the basics, but C is proving to be a pain, but again, I am
learning, and I'm enjoying.

Pick up "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie (2nd
edition) - ISBN 0-13-110362-8.