[wplug] first language

Scott Bourns scott at scottbourns.com
Tue Apr 1 10:34:32 EST 2003

I need some advice from sys/net admins and web gurus about a first
programming language to start with.

I want to add some programming to my knowledge bank. My primary focus is
network/system administration, but I'm heading more and more toward the
web/remote admin category as well.

I think I want to add some Java, PERL, PHP to my skill list, but I have
very little programming background (a little exposure to C and some
hacking of PHP and Java).

Where should I begin? Which language should I really know first?

In other words, I'm ready to knuckle down, but I don't want to head in
the wrong direction and get frustrated by wasted or fruitless efforts.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. Obviously, this would be a convenient time to start with PERL, but
do I need to know a fair amount of C/C++ first?