[wplug] Second round of questions from newbie...

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Sat Oct 19 10:19:58 EDT 2002

When I was switching to Linux fom HP-UX, I read a review on several
distros. It recommended Redhat and Suse.

We tried, the then current, Redhat 5.x and couldn't get it to install.
Tried Suse and worked. Also, Suse came with a lot of applications, so it
was an advantage not to have to download and compile extras. If you are
going to mantain a large user base, it's a pain in the ass to have to
ensure the application works with your distro. Downloading packages from
the wild is risky.

We've stuck with Suse. Never had major problems with it. Their
development suite, compilers, libs, etc. are reliable and well done.
We use it as NFS server, NIS server, DNS, desktop, devlopment, CVS
server, personal firewall, etc. Will use it for mail, MySQL server

The user mailing list is very helpfull and friendly.

I have used Debian on occasion, their package management is exellent.
Distribution upgrades can be done on a single command line. No messing
around with CDs. It's hard to use if you are used to GUI admin tools.
Haven't used it heavily, though.

I have not used Redhat. Have heard good and bad things about it. I know
it is very popular and that you can find a lot of packages in the wild
that claim to be Redhat compatible.

If I were you, I'd would make a selection based on experience or
journalistic review. You can download Redhat for free and you can
download a demo CD of Suse 8.1 (the full distro becomes downloadable one
or two months after the distro is delivered.) The professional Suse
version is $80, the equivalent Redhat is $150.
--
      Rafael