[wplug] Graphic Arts Software...

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Wed Oct 16 13:25:43 EDT 2002

> This is sort of non-technical but this is what I
> deal with when the question of "going to linux"
> arises. Is there good Graphic Arts Software
> for Linux? I know I should check and see if
> COREL still is supporting Linux for DRAW
> and PHOTO-PAINT. I know this is non-technical
> but this question comes up time and again when
> I talk to Graphics people about going to Linux.

i'm not big in the multimedia department .. but i've always used gimp when
in need of a graphics application.  suits my needs :)

as for 3d and rendering, i know a few people who use blender .. but i
think they prefer some of the windows tools over that.

> As far as technical questions in general...Well is
> it a cleaner solution to go to a setup where Windows
> has its disk and Linux has its disk and one dual boots.
> That would seem to be a way to get around many of
> the partition problems. Have I got that correct overall?
> I am overall lurking and watching the partition thread
> with great interest.

with less experience, worrying about partition tables and the master boot
record can be quite the hassle.  i know very few people who have had
little trouble their first time :) ... but with seperate disks, there's
less potential for screwing things up.

in particular, i'd just like to note for anyone who has never had this
experience .. well, in general, it's a good idea to let each os create and
size it's own partition.  dos, for example, only uses chs while linux
never uses chs.  (even if the bios is set specifically to chs.)  'man
fdisk' explains a lot of these details in more technical terms, of course
:)

coldie