[wplug] question regarding cd writing

Brian S. Woolstrum woolstrum at cmu.edu
Tue Oct 15 21:07:23 EDT 2002

On 15 Oct 2002, Bill wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> Ok so I got a burner for my box at work and installed xcdroast to test
> it.  I had to make some modifications to the modules.conf file to make
> the burner user scsi emulation.  Now when I run xcdroast, I can see the
> cdrw drive but I cant see my regular cd drive.  My assumption is in
> order to burn from the cd to the cdrw, I'll have to setup the cd player
> for scsi emulation as well.  My questions are:
>
> 1. Has anyone done this and what kind of mess am I getting myself into?
> 2. Am I correct in my assumptions and proposed approach.
>
> Thanks
>
> -b

I myself haven't used scsi emulation as a module, I've always compiled it
into the kernel.  Whenever I've used it all cd drives and zip drives have
come up as scsi emulated.  All you should have to do is change some
configuration settings.  Running 'dmesg' at the command line should show how
the drives are represented, here is an excerpt of mine:

hda: C/H/S=512/0/63 from BIOS ignored
hda: Maxtor 51369U3, ATA DISK drive
hdb: FX240S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: CD-RW BCE2410IM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1: unexpected interrupt, status=0xff, count=1
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15 (serialized with ide0)
hda: 26520480 sectors (13578 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=26310/16/63
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: MITSUMI   Model: CD-ROM FX240S !B  Rev: j01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: BTC       Model: BCE2410IM         Rev: A.21
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 4x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

so my regular cdrom /dev/hdb became /dev/sr0 and my writer /dev/hdd became /dev/sr1