[wplug] Sound card problem since upgrade to 7.3

Bill bhalpin at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Oct 10 15:36:43 EDT 2002

I have a Creative Labs CT4810 which was in the box when I inherited it
at work.  I installed rh7.1 and the sound card was functional without
any sort of manual configuration.  This is the first linux box I have
ever had with a sound card in it so this isnt exactly my forte.

When I upgraded to 7.3, i started getting a sound card error:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

When I do lspci -v everything looks normal except the Capabilities says
something like "<Only available to root>"

since I've never had to fiddle with this before, I dunno if that is
normal or not.

My question: what in the heck do i do to fix this?

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

-bill