[wplug] random lockups.

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Tue Oct 8 15:30:52 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 @ 2:08pm (-0400), Matthew Danish wrote:

MD> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:34:21PM -0400, John 'el asesino del pollo' Harrold wrote:
MD> > hey.
MD> >
MD> > i have a computer that is locking up rather randomly. it normally happens
MD> > early in the morning when no one is around, or that is all i can tell from
MD> > the logs.  the logs show the results of cron running and that is it. the
MD> > next log entry is from syslog restarting after a hard boot. so is there
MD> > something i can run in the background that will tell me what is going on?
MD> >
MD>
MD> Random crash check-list:

...all good stuff.  However, I've found the majority of problems can be
diagnosed by simply tossing a getty onto a serial port and watching for
critial kernel messages that are normally masked by X (which xconsole(8)
doesn't catch)

but you're right, most of these problems are a result of cheap i386 hardware
... i mean, really, when has the kernel ever been known cause a hard lock
without any debugging info >:} </sarcasm>

and of course, my favorite unexplainable locks, nvidia binary only X4
drivers.

-lava