[wplug] high load averages

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sun Nov 24 15:12:07 EST 2002

Sometime in November James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I enabled that option at my last job shortly before the end of the world,
| and I think it helped, but I don't remember anymore. That was over 6
| months ago...
|
| Be sure to read the warnings associated with the option.

could you give me a brief idea of the issues associated with this option? i
googled a bit, but i didnt really find anything. the manpage seems to think it
is a good idea:

   hard
   The program accessing a file on a NFS mounted file system will hang when the
   server crashes. The process cannot be interrupted or killed unless you also
   specify intr.  When the NFS server is back  online  the  program  will continue
   undisturbed from where it was. This is probably what you want.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan