[wplug] high load averages

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Nov 21 16:10:33 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, John Harrold wrote:
> hum.. it might have on sat. would it take this long for the problem to show
> up? it can access the server now if that matters.

It only takes seconds. If the process is waiting for I/O, it adds 1 to
the load average. In the normal case, the addition of 1 is only for
milliseconds, so if the machine is gone for a minute, then it would start
to show up in the average fairly quickly.

> from this post on google it appears that the intr option will help me. any
> thoughts or opinions?
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=96jhpf02cc2%40enews3.newsguy.com&output=gplain

I enabled that option at my last job shortly before the end of the world,
and I think it helped, but I don't remember anymore. That was over 6
months ago...

Be sure to read the warnings associated with the option.

-james