[wplug] Iopener

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Sun Nov 24 00:43:24 EST 2002

On 11/23/02 9:22 PM, "redtoade" <redtoade at yahoo.com> wrote:

> (I posted this using the wrong email account, and I
> have no idea how "moderator approval" works.  So if
> this gets posted twice... my apologies.)
>
> Dumb question:  how much memory does this thing have?
>
> There are tons of hack pages out there, and this one
> (http://fastolfe.net/misc/i-opener-faq.html) says the
> following:
>
>   6.1 Can I upgrade the memory?
>
>   The unit comes with a single SODIMM (what I like
> to call "laptop memory")
>   slot with a 32MB stick of memory. I don't see any
> reason why you couldn't just
>   replace this with a larger stick. People kept
> saying the BIOS might have a
>   64MB limit, but this does not appear to actually
> be the case.
>   128MB SODIMMs have been reported to work
> perfectly."
>
> So if there's only 32M of memory, might I refer you to
> this quote
> (http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/):
>
>   Red Hat Linux 8.0 Technical Details
>   Minimum and Recommended Hardware Requirements:
>       Memory:
>       Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
>       Minimum for graphical: 128MB
>       Recommended for graphical: 192MB
>
> I've noticed similar "rebooting chokes" when
> installing various RedHat versions on systems with
> less than the minimum memory.  If you have only 32M,
> you might try a different distro... or an earlier
> RedHat version.
>
> But if you have the necessary memory, my post is
> completely moot!

Good point- I did replace the SODIMM with a 64MB module, but I am trying to
boot into graphical mode. Maybe if I use a deprecated distro version it will
work? The install was performed in the following way- I used a friend's
Celeron 1Ghz desktop machine with a ribbon cable converter (40 pin IDE to
44pin-mini-IDE). I booted the machine from CD, and followed default install
instructions. It worked well on the desktop... Then I moved the drive over
to the iOpener. So... I'm going to try an older version first, or maybe
booting text only (??).
It was also pointed out that the default kernel may compile ide-scsi support
as a module, thus making a catch-22. I really don't know if this is the
case, but I suppose I should look at that too (if it was required, how come
Grub even works at all?).
Thanks for the responses, now I've got a few things to try out. I'll re-post
later with what I learned...
Doug