[wplug] Iopener

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 00:22:08 EST 2002

(I posted this using the wrong email account, and I
have no idea how "moderator approval" works.  So if
this gets posted twice... my apologies.)

Dumb question:  how much memory does this thing have?

There are tons of hack pages out there, and this one
(http://fastolfe.net/misc/i-opener-faq.html) says the
following:

    6.1 Can I upgrade the memory?

    The unit comes with a single SODIMM (what I like
to call "laptop memory")
    slot with a 32MB stick of memory. I don't see any
reason why you couldn't just
    replace this with a larger stick. People kept
saying the BIOS might have a
    64MB limit, but this does not appear to actually
be the case.
    128MB SODIMMs have been reported to work
perfectly."

So if there's only 32M of memory, might I refer you to
this quote
(http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/):

    Red Hat Linux 8.0 Technical Details
    Minimum and Recommended Hardware Requirements:
        Memory:
        Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
        Minimum for graphical: 128MB
        Recommended for graphical: 192MB

I've noticed similar "rebooting chokes" when
installing various RedHat versions on systems with
less than the minimum memory.  If you have only 32M,
you might try a different distro... or an earlier
RedHat version.

But if you have the necessary memory, my post is
completely moot!