[wplug] word processor suggestions?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 21 13:28:14 EST 2002

Sometime in November Matthew Danish assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:03:11AM -0500, jd wrote:
| > Can anyone tell me how to fix these problems, or suggest a better word
| > processor to try?
|
| LaTeX.  You can get the teTeX distribution for Linux fairly easily, it
| should be a package in your Linux distribution.  If you don't want to
| write LaTeX by hand (it's not that bad), then grab LyX, it's a decent
| frontend.  Be warned; LyX is not your typical WYSIWYG word processor--it
| operates like LaTeX: it enforces structured document preparation.  But
| it comes with extensive documentation, written in LyX, which you can
| render into beautiful looking PostScript files and read at your leisure.

i'm on matthew's side on this one. latex outshines any word processor i've
used when you consider document quality. the print quality of latex is
superb. it does have a bit of a learning curve, but after you get over that
hump, it shouldn't be that hard. i've never used lyx, so i cannot vouch for
that, but writing latex by hand is not that hard. think of it as a step up
from html :).

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan