[wplug] high load averages

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 21 10:34:36 EST 2002

Sometime in November James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, John Harrold wrote:
| > so my questions are could the sleeping automounts be causing the high
| > system loads?
|
| yes. I can't the reference right now, but those number are the number of
| process in the ready state, plus 1 for every process in a diskwait, or
| something along those lines.
|
| >if so can i try to kill them?
|
| Try all you like.
|
| > i tried to kill the ls but that
| > didn't work too well.
|
| Unless things have changed, you can't killa process in a diskwait until
| the I/O has completed. It sounds like a remote server you were accessing
| went away?

hum.. it might have on sat. would it take this long for the problem to show
up? it can access the server now if that matters.

| > can anyone else think of a cause for the high system
| > loads?
|
| See above.
|

| -james

from this post on google it appears that the intr option will help me. any
thoughts or opinions?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=96jhpf02cc2%40enews3.newsguy.com&output=gplain

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan