[wplug] disappearing cdrom on a laptop.

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sat Jul 13 02:46:18 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu wrote:
> ok i poked around a bit and it turns out that the cdrom is a firewire
> device. so since i don't know much about them i went here:
> http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

I have 0 experience with firewire, but below are some comment that might
be helpful.

> i read through the section of the faq that talks about cdrom drives. i
> loaded the kernel modules just fine ( raw1394 ohci1394 ieee1394), but when
> i look in /proc the ohci1394 directory doesn't appear to be there.

Do you need all three of these modules or are they different drivers for
different chipsets? Are they listed when you run lsmod? Does the faq say
there will be a /proc/ohci1394 directory or could it be somewhere lower in
the directory tree? This might be of some use:
find /proc -type d -name "ohci1394"

> the faq
> also has a shell script to identify devices. i ran the shell script, but it
> didn't find any devices. what would these devices show up as? /def/fwa?

Depends on how they go about identifying. If they are expecting the /dev
files, I think they would/should tell you. /dev/ files are actually just
specially marked files that tell the kernel what module handles that
device. The name itself is not special. man mknod might be helpful to
read. Unless you are using devfs (which I don't think Red Hat is setting
up by default yet) files in /dev/ are not created automatically.

> i'll admit some ignorance here, since i don't have any expirence with
> firewire.  i thought about patching the kernel using the stuff in the above
> link, but i don't know if i would be doing what redhat has already done.

If you can do modprobe <modulename> then Red Hat seems to have already
applied that patch. This makes me think that they have applied some
patches:
[jo2y at lore jo2y]$ rpm -q --changelog kernel |grep 1394
- fixed oops on ieee1394 disconnect
- ieee1394 update
- Added linux-2.4.0-ieee1394-queuefix.patch for task queue changes

I don't think I've seen anyone suggest this yet:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

-james