[wplug] Any vmware users?

Sean McCune sean at redhandsoftware.com
Wed Jul 10 11:20:04 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 10:38, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Does anyone on the list use vmware for linux?

I have used it to run Win2K under linux.  But not anymore.

> I'm thinking about using it to
> run WinXP instead of dual booting, but I haven't tied it before.

I switched from using vmware to dual booting.  I was doing this on a
laptop that only had 128 Mb of memory, and when you run an OS under
vmware you need to dedicate memory to it.  So this meant I had to give
64 Mb of RAM to Win2K, and only had 64 Mb left on the host linux OS.

Win2K was slow with only 64 Mb.  But then I was doing compiles with
Borland C++ Builder. If you just want to use Outlook or Word or
something it may not be too bad with only 64 Mb, although program
startup times will probably be slow.

Anyhow, upgrading the memory in this laptop was not an option for me.

So if you do it, make sure you have enough RAM to be comfortable for
both OS' simultaneously.

> And will I
> need to reinstall WinXP from scratch?  If I already have it installed on
> another partition, can I just load it into vmware from there?

Theoretically, you can just load it from there.  I was not able to get
this to work. So I let linux have the whole disk and just created a big
file on the linux filesystem with vmware that vmware can use as a
virtual partition.  Win2k was installed onto that.