[wplug] Re: .Net Launch

Rick Harris ftumph at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 21:22:13 EST 2002

You could ask.  However I believe Pitt (for example) has a site license
agreement with Microsoft.  Essentially the copies of Windows, Office, etc.
that they give their students to use are free.  They pay a fixed amount
regardless of how many copies get installed, so there's no real incentive for
them to offer an alternative.

In fact, they have a disincentive as any software they give away is software
that their support people are going to have to deal with.  They'd rather have
everybody on the same thing.

Of course I could be completely wrong, or they may be open to saving on the
site license cost by moving over to Linux as the main OS.  (See previous
argument over which distribution to suggest :-)

- Rick