[wplug] .Net Launch

Kevin Olalde kevin at olalde.org
Wed Jan 30 08:32:51 EST 2002

> I have been monitoring the RE:'s to the .Net Launch posting I made yesterday
> morning.

Me too.

> For awhile there you really had me thinking you were serious with
> the "guerilla evangelism" plans.

Not me for a minute.  I don't throw paint on people's fur's as they walk down
the street either.  Wrong tool for the job.

> I use and hate M$ and its products every
> day,

I too.  Though I don't 'hate' them.  They're certainly frustrating, and
certainly not always my first choice, but they're just tools.  I don't hate my
screw driver when I should have used my powered screw driver (or visa versa).

> However, most of the PC software developers I have known, who have tried
> Linux, feel it is a nightmare to administer

Now I'd say the same of Windows.  A complete nightmare to administer for
anything other than 'out of the box' uses (and even then, still a pain).

> and is sorely lacking robust
> software development tools.  Its just not quite ready for primetime in the
> PC software development arena.

Now this is were I really disagree.  To say that the tools are different, I'd
agree.  To say that the MS tools have a wider appeal, in certain areas I'd
agree.  To say Linux isn't ready for "primetime in the PC software development
arena" is placing way too much value on what 'extra' benifits the MS tools bring
(and IMHO, those 'extra' benifits are extremely expensive on all sorts of
levels).  The tools are different, if one has a hard time learning tools (or
just no time), then switch from one to the other will always be a problem.

> Do you really want to put Linux in the hands
> of current M$ customers and then fall short of delivering a complete
> package?

A "complete package"?.... now there's a can of worms.

> I agree with those who state that the Linux zealots are Linux's worst
> enemies.  Help build a better, complete product and then people will use it.
> Perhaps the best anti-M$ action you could take is to let these attendees use
> .Net, on XP.  Register and attend the M$ event.  Take away a seat from a
> potential customer.  Talk to the attendees about Linux during breaks.  Let
> Linux stand, or fall, on it's current and potential technical merits.

Now you're talking.  The zealots have there place, but yes they can be well
zealous ;-)  Want to "help the cause"?  Use Linux.  Improve Linux.  Promote it
at your work place, as would should always strive to promote the best solution
for a given task.  'Best' is often a complex criteria, consider Linux,
use/promote it if it fits.

Use it smartly and have fun.

Kevin