[wplug] .Net Launch

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Wed Jan 30 07:47:32 EST 2002

I have been monitoring the RE:'s to the .Net Launch posting I made yesterday
morning.  For awhile there you really had me thinking you were serious with
the "guerilla evangelism" plans.  I use and hate M$ and its products every
day, but this kind of action would not be a productive way to foster support
for Linux.

The attendees at this event will be primarily software developers and
architects.  Do you really think these people are not aware of Linux?  What
Linux development applications, IDE, etc. would you try to hold up to the M$
visual development tools.  Certainly not KDevelop, or Glade.  Neither comes
close to being as complete as even 10 year old M$ tools.  Emacs and gdb are
even more primitive.  Kdbg works, once in awhile.  Mono and DotGNU are a
long way off.

Linux may be a good stable operating system.  When running Apache it is make
for a great server.  It is potentially a good embedded operating system.
However, most of the PC software developers I have known, who have tried
Linux, feel it is a nightmare to administer and is sorely lacking robust
software development tools.  Its just not quite ready for primetime in the
PC software development arena.  Do you really want to put Linux in the hands
of current M$ customers and then fall short of delivering a complete
package?

I agree with those who state that the Linux zealots are Linux's worst
enemies.  Help build a better, complete product and then people will use it.
Perhaps the best anti-M$ action you could take is to let these attendees use
.Net, on XP.  Register and attend the M$ event.  Take away a seat from a
potential customer.  Talk to the attendees about Linux during breaks.  Let
Linux stand, or fall, on it's current and potential technical merits.