[wplug] unable to telnet

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Mon Jan 28 10:29:21 EST 2002

> I have installed Mandrake 7.0 with security setting high.  I can't telnet to
> the machine.  I changed the hosts.allow file and tried to restart inetd but
> I can't find the process numbers.

i'm not a mandrake expert ... so i'm not sure what the high security
setting entails ... but to find the process of inetd, you can issue this:

'ps -x | grep inetd'

and that'll be the PID at the very left .. to get inetd to reread it's
/etc/inetd.conf, simply issue this:

'kill -1 <pid>'   where <pid> is inetd's PID

this is, of course, provided your machine is running inetd and not xinetd.
dunno what mandrake runs.  as for hosts.allow and hosts.deny ... those are
read each time a host attempts to connect to a daemon started from inetd
so no HUP is required when modifying those.

coldie