Newbies at the GUMs (Re: [wplug] LUG Ignorance)

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Sat Jan 19 19:10:59 EST 2002

From: "Jonathan S. Billings" <jsbillings at mac.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:54:02 -0500
To: wplug at wplug.org
Subject: Re: [wplug] LUG Ignorance

> One of the things that really bothers me about the
comments is how many
> of the people attended one meeting, just to be
scared off by the
> regulars, who are either unfriendly to newbies, or
just scary in their
> geekiness.  I think that our LUG suffers from this
at times.

(Whoops, I forgot to copy the link to the poll.
Sorry, Billings!)

Most of the new people I've seen at the LUGs have
complained that they don't know who to talk to. It
can be a bit intimidating, I guess.

I think we should try to make the newbies at the
GUMs and Installfest feel more welcome. I often just
walk up to them and talk with them a bit. If there's
something they have a question about, I either try
to answer it myself, or direct them to someone else
in our group who has had more experience with their
situation.

I don't think any of us are rude or inhospitable,
but we can be self-absorbed. I remember when I
started attending the GUMs that I didn't know whose
conversation I should listen in on.

"Breaking the ice" isn't too difficult, but it does
take a little effort. If we kept that in mind, we'd
get a lot more folks interested in Linux and WPLUG.

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at linuxmail.org