[wplug] Nameserver firewall rules

Henry Umansky hmust2+ at pitt.edu
Tue Dec 17 09:06:39 EST 2002

Hello,

I am trying to set up a primary DNS server and I can't seem to get it
working through my firewall. Here is my rules for iptables:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:domain
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spt:domain
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

What other port do I need to open up.  I know I need to open tcp 53, but I
thought that is only used for zone transfer to slave nameservers.

Henry Umansky
hmust2 [at] pitt [dot] edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~hmust2