[wplug] problem with fonts in X

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling+ at pitt.edu
Mon Dec 2 16:21:08 EST 2002

I have just installed Gentoo Linux on an old Pentium Pro system. When I start
X (IceWM or Gnome), I'm getting some weird font behavior. In most cases,
fonts are rendered fine. On buttons, dialog box fields and (most annoyingly)
in a xterm or gnome-terminal, the words are cut off. When I type into an
xterm, I get gibberish, until  mouse over, or shade/unshade (in other words,
redraw). This is happening in both Gnome and IceWM, both root and normal
user. I'm getting two messages that might be suspect in the X log. I don't
know what the first means:

	(WW)System lacks support for changing MTRRs

The second is the last message in the log, and is strange because all my
fonts should be OK, I have paths in both the XF86Config file and in fonts.dir:

	Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing
	from list!

When I try to select fonts in IceWM, I get almost pure gibberish. It seems
like there is some spacing problem initially.

Any suggestions appreciated.

SFK
--
Scott F. Kiesling