[wplug] Re: New User Tutorial this Saturday

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Aug 15 20:24:19 EDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Peter Williams wrote:
> If bringing a computer, should it have linux installed or no?  Is this
> "play around with an already installed system to learn the tricks" or
> "walk through an install starting from scratch" ?  Are we focusing
> on any one distro?

It will be helpful to have linux already on it because the tutorial will
be geared towards people who have installed linux, but don't know what to
do from there. So the "play around with an already installed system to
learn the tricks" is the case here. We have installfests currently on the
odd numbered months where the goal is to help people install linux on a
more one-on-one basis. The next one will be September 14th.
I want this tutorial to be somewhat of a where does one go from here. I'm
going to try and stay distrobution agnostic, but I'm most familiar with
Red Hat, so that might creep in. I'm sure that there will be enough other
people who can correct me if I slip in a redhatism.

There are demo disk installations that you can use that don't require an
install, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to find and burn any to CD.

> And should I still attend if I can't bring a computer (get a ride) ?

Everyone is welcome, with or without a computer, I'm just hoping that if
you have a computer in front of you, you can try first hand any commands I
show and see how they apply to you. And any 'doodling' that people do
might be useful to mix into the discussion.

-james