[wplug] wired resp

T Quine quining at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 08:50:41 EDT 2001

>Linux will never be the desktop operating system
>that Windows is, so let's stop pretending that it might.  We use Linux to
>develop software, act as a super stable server, whatever.  It is a
>different type of tool for a different type of task.
>
>--patrick

With this attitude, how could it ever compete?  Yes, I agree that linux
isn't Windows.  Things change.  I already use linux in with a really dumbed
down interface on my tivo.  Yes, it might have been possible to do that with
windows, but it isn't.  It's linux.

By saying "Linux will never catch up to windows", you aren't accomplishing
anything.  You can say "Linux isn't yet ready for the desktop".  I'll agree.
  But if you put arbitrary limits on linux... just because it isn't Windows,
it's counterproductive.