[wplug] Moving to west PA

N. Iglehart sendai at thedustyshelf.com
Mon Sep 10 05:56:04 EDT 2001

I am moving to the western PA area(hopefully Pittsburgh) in the next few
weeks and I wanted to get a general impression of the corporate feelings on
Linuix in the area.  I am coming from Dallas and have been a reasonably
active DFW-LUG member for three years and watched the corporate opinion
evolve in the area from a general disinterest in the OS to Linux becoming the
drug of choice in many companies for unix workstations.  While some of that
shift was financially motivated, it was for the most part because of the
environment/creativity relationship that places like Dallas, Atlanta and SF
learned to recognize and exploit.  I have noticed that Pittsburgh and
surrounding areas are sadly behind in this respect despite the fact that Pitt
wishes to be a "tech center" so to speak.  Any firsthand experience?

Also, are there any membership requirements for wplug?

Lastly, I have been kicking around the idea of a Linux on Sparc presentation
for the DFW-LUG, but it looks like I won't be around to give it.  Any
interest in west PA?

Nick Iglehart