[wplug] lightning talks

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sun Sep 9 17:49:45 EDT 2001

I asked the crowd that was as the last GUM if they thought it would be a
neat idea to have a lightning talk GUM. The basic idea is we have several
volunteers each give a 5 min presentation about a topic that would be of
interest to the group. With only 5 mins, you only have time to give small
flavor of a large topic, or a quick overview of a smaller one. After your
5 mins are up, the next person starts his talk, and if anyone has
any questions, they can ask you later in the hallway.
I got the idea from the YAPC conference I went to at CMU in 19100. You can
see a little longer explanation here:
http://perl.plover.com/lightning-talks.html

I've already signed myself up to give a quick analogy of internet routing
comparied to finding your friends hotel room from your own.

This would be a good chance for people who are a little nervous about
public speaking or don't think they have enough material to fill an hour.
If you're interested, send me an email with the topic of your talk and if
I get enough people signing up, we'll do this at the October 6th GUM.

-james