[wplug] Need suggestions

Evan DiBiase edibiase at mac.com
Sat Oct 20 11:55:47 EDT 2001

Christopher,

Even though I haven't worked much with perl, it seems like it is very
powerful and versatile. I do quite a bit of work with PHP, however, and
do find it to be an excellent language for doing web/database stuff. If
you haven't already, check out PHP's online documentation
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/); it's pretty easy to get a good idea of
how PHP works from php.net, especially if you've used another language.
If you want a more thorough introduction to PHP (with a somewhat
database-centric focus), I suggest "PHP Essentials" by Julie Meloni
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076152729X/).

That said, if you're looking to learn a language that will have
wide-ranging applications, I wouldn't suggest moving toward PHP
initially. It is geared almost completely for web-based stuff, and
doesn't have nearly the flexibility and general power of a perl or
python.

-Evan