[wplug] perl and .bash_profile ?

T Quine quining at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 11:30:24 EDT 2001

>From: Doug Green <green at np.awing.upmc.edu>
>
>Hi-
>
>I have two questions this morning...I'm running RH7.1...
>
>1) when I open a terminal and su, I cannot execute adsl-start without
>giving the full pathname (ie: /usr/sbin/adsl-start). However, /usr/sbin
>is in my path under my root account's .bash_profile. Obviously, this is
>not a big deal, but I was wondering why it's doing that.

'su' passes environmental variables along to the shell started, so basically
it's starting up a shell with your user's homedir, path, USER variable, etc.
  You could try the -l switch, which strips out all those env variables,
sets them to the shell's default.  Or you could put whatever path you wanted
in your user's shell.

>2) I have been trying to compile and install bp, a perl bibliography
>package (available at www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~jacobsd/bib/bp/). It
>complains of my @INC variable not being set, among other things. What
>are these variables, how do I set them, and more importantly, where can
>I learn about this stuff (do I need to learn perl to use the
>packages??)? Does anyone else use bp? I had it working on my Mandrake
>7.2 system, and I can't remember what magic catch-phrase made it work.

How did you install it?  Did you use CPAN?  That's the reccomended way of
doing things.  I can't believe your @INC isnt being set, it probably is
saying that it can't find the package in the current @INC.  If you wanted to
install it in your home directory, there is another way of doing it through
CPAN, but it's too complicated for one simple email.

>As ususal, all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
>
>Doug
>

>PS- I lied, here's a third question: On my laptop, hitting ctrl-alt-F1
>(or F2 or...) doesn't give me a login screen! Using the SAME distro
>(identical configuration) on my desktop computer, it DOES give me a user
>login screen... weird, huh? Is this normal for laptop intalls??

That shouldn't happen.  I'm not familiar with mandrake, but if those virtual
terminals aren't showing up, check in /etc/inittab to see if you have getty
running on the appropriate tty devices.  In mine:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

If those aren't there, that would explain it.  Usually X is run on vt7, so
I'd check vt1-6 to see if ANYTHING is running.  Maybe mandrake's braindead
install starts xdm on tty1?

-QUINE-