[wplug] Mandrake 7.2

Justin Zaun jzaun at telerama.com
Sat Mar 24 18:35:03 EST 2001

I've been running Mandrak 7.2 sence it came out. I have never been able
to crash the system, with the exclusion of installing a *very alpha*
kernel module for may USB video camera.

    -- Justin

On 25 Mar 2001 11:14:10 -0500, Doug Green wrote:
> Yeah, it's a good distribution- probably my favorite so far. If you want
> it to crash, start installing packages manually (ie: from a tarball). I've
> installed 7.2 about 5 times on my two machines (work and home) and I've
> learned my lesson. However it installs- LEAVE it that way, or stick with
> their tools for upgrading (the update tool works very well). You CAN use
> live update after a re-boot to add the "server package" (or workstation)
> and it will just lump those packages on top of your original choice. Do
> NOT do any of the following:
>
> 1) Compile software without using their package manager (it won't be
> recognized and will cause mischief later- I think this is true for all rpm
> distros, but I'm not sure)

Its like this with any RPM distro or any distro wich uses a pacageing
system. If its not in the database it wont know its there. all in all
its easy to do, just got to keep track of things manualy then. I run CVS
applications all the time, untill the next version is out, then I
install the rom right overtop of the CVS version. This works well socon
as your configure script is passed --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc.

> 2) DO NOT install ANYTHING from their "development" updates. They claim
> that these are beta, which may be true for other systems, but they are
> ALPHA at best for Mandrake. KDE 2.1 is a great example. If you want your
> system to crash, update KDE. Although 2.1 is stable on other distros, it
> is ABSOLUTELY NOT on Mandrake.

Again I have done this and have had no problems what so ever.

> 3) Install Helix-Gnome. This will seriously mess up your system.

I'm running Helix-Gnome as we speak. It has *never* crashed on me.

> 4) Run "Live-Update" without rebooting between updates.

Done this one too.

> This is a partial list, but basically treat the system with kid gloves and
> it will NOT crash on you. My machine at work is being used (in addition to
> my daily use) as a fileserver for a couple macs in my department, and
> eventually a web proxy server with ad-blocking (squid/sleezeball- thanks
> John! ;) ). Aside from the caveats listed above, it's an exceptionally
> good system. However, be careful- if you find yourself configuring things
> by hand, you are doing someting WRONG. Mandrake may not complain right
> away, but it will come back to haunt you later.
>
> Doug
>
> PS- DO NOT bother with Traktopel Betas (1 or 2). They are very "beta".
>

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Dr. SDM (Linux) wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried Mandrake 7.2 yet.  I just downloaded the ISO today, and installed it.  So far it seems to be a very good server.
> > Some things have changed though, but other than that I can't get it to crash!!!
> >
> > Just to let everyone know
> > Dr. SDM

     Justin Zaun         |
(H) jzaun at telerama.com   | cannot change, the courage to change the things