[wplug] Despret to eather fix a mouse or fix the exact same one

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Wed Mar 7 18:14:45 EST 2001

I appreciate everybody's concern.  I had actually intended to send my comments
to my friend Mike directly and privately and not through the list.  I think it
is part of being a friend to offer constructive criticism at times, especially
when it could help start off a career on a good foot.  Unfortunately, I didn't
catch that it was headed for the list until just as I had hit the send button
and then, as many of you may know, hitting the cancel button doesn't stop it
from going through.  (Sorry about that Mike.)

Well, this brings up an entirely different issue which is the reply protocol as
configured on the list server.  Right after I sent it, I was talking with Brian
Sammon who mentioned that most list servers don't use the WPLUG arrangement,
being instead configured to send to the author as the default reply.  I know
that is the protocol used for the largest volume list to which I subscribe, the
Framers list hosted by Adobe.  If I want it to go to the list, I have to take an
extra step and insert the list address.  (In fact I had just been privately
responding to a post on that list before I accidentally sent my mis-addressed
note to Mike -- I guess you could call it a case of cross list confusion.)

As Brian pointed out, a configuration with a default reply to author helps
prevent personal messages from being accidentally sent to a list.  He said most
list servers come with that as their default configuration, in large part for
that reason.  He also said such a configuration would likely have been the
default with the new WPLUG server when it was installed a few months ago but was
probably switched when it was set up.

Since reply to author seems to be the more common default with lists, switching
back and forth between the different lists is bound to lead to mix ups once in a
while.  Given that and given the flame wars over organizing WPLUG as well as the
general propensity for RRR (Rapid Response Rage) that results when knee jerk
email criticisms pop out too fast, maybe we should reconsider following the
prevailing arrangement. --- BTW, the email I had sent before Mike's was a
private response to a person on the Framers list who had posted an RRR flame to
another person's well intended suggestions, (so having that extra address step
isn't foolproof); I had suggested that a private, more civil and constructive
response would have been in line, but he just flamed me too.

OH, and for the record, I used a spell checker on this or you'd see so many
howlers, you'd think I had a canine secretary.

Dave