[wplug] The penguin takes Brazil??

Elwin Green bekitemba at excite.com
Wed Mar 7 20:36:45 EST 2001

Greetings all -

Wednesday eve, and I just got around to reading a most interesting article
in Sunday's P-G. Headlined "In Brazil, CMU grad designs a computer for the
people," it explains how a team led by Sergio Vale Campos has designed a
computer which could be produced for $300. They did this at the behest of
the government, which plans to install the machines in public schools,
giving Internet access to 7 million children.

This piece of the article jumped out at me:
"(Vale Campos) counts off the computer's attributes on his fingers: a
500-megahertz processor, 64 megabytes of main memory and 16 MB more on a
flash chip that substitutes for a hard drive.

There's a 56kbps modem and the software is Linux-based and, therefore,
free."

What? An entire nation's children could be introduced to computers without
ever experiencing Windows? What's next???

Makes me feel good about becoming a penguinhead...

Elwin G.