[wplug] Where the modules live

Rick Reynolds rick.reynolds at ansys.com
Mon Mar 5 11:18:29 EST 2001

I've always wondered how this works:  where is the path to the modules directory defined?

E.g., I build a kernel (say 2.4.2).  When I do the make_install, it places the modules under /lib/modules/2.4.2/...  Then, magically, the kernel knows where to get its modules from when it loads.  It seems like the definition of the modules directory is somehow "built-into" kernels when the get compiled.

I'd like to be able to change the path to something like "2.4.2-addDriver1" when I'm recompiling kernels to add certain features.  What I do now is rename the modules directory to something like "2.4.2-SAVE" and let the kernel build place the modules into the real location "2.4.2".  It would be nice if I could have multiple module paths, one for each of my kernels that I've built (especially when trying out new things).

Rick Reynolds

See www.geekcode.com to find out what this is.
Go to www.ebb.org/ungeek for an automated decoder.