[wplug] mpegs /gtv/plaympeg from Loki

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Thu Jun 21 16:17:08 EDT 2001

I've done some expirementation..  First of all, I have a fairly high
quality mpeg from nvidia (a commercial for the nvidia geforce2 gts and
'Halo').  It's a 352x240 video.  What I did was cycle through my different
available X resolution and tried playing the video.  I also tried a lower
quality commercial for 'All-Star Baseball 2002' which was a 320x240 mpeg,
and finally a very low quality example from ASB2002 which was a 240x176
mpeg.  It went like this

Switched to 640x480  (via the ctrl alt plus/minus.  If you don't know how
to set this up, write back)
ran plaympeg -s 640x480 --fullscreen halo.mpg ..... this produced a
fullscreen version of the high quality mpeg.  Full framerate, no visible
pixelation.
plaympeg -s 640x480 --fullscreen ASB.mpg ..... this produced a fullscreen
version of the medium quality mpeg.  Full framerate.  There was visible
pixelation but not much more than occured playing at default resolution
plaympeg -s 640x480 --fullscreen bell.mpg .... this produced a fullscreen
version of the low quality mpeg.  Full framerate.. TERRIBLE pixelation.
Much worse than the pixelation that occured at the default resolution.

Switched to 800x600
ran the same command replacing 640x480 with 800x600
high quality mpeg - still looked gorgeous.  Full framerate, no pixelation
medium quality mpeg -about the same as 640x480.. full framerate..
pixelation a little more visible
low quality mpeg - looks horrendous.. slow framerate lots of pixelation

Switched to 1024x768
high quality mpeg - still looked gorgeous.. starts to get choppy framerate
wise
medium quality mpeg - looked crappy.. still high framerate
low quality - terrible look and framerate

Switched to 1280x1024
high quality - looks good still-- very choppy framerate
medium quality - looked crappier -- not very good framerate.. motion gets
blurry
low quality - impossible to watch.

I think the morale of the story is this:  If you have a 352x240 mpeg,
loki's smpeg library can get enough pixels from it to scale and interpolate
to any resolution, assuming your video card can handle it.  The high
quality mpeg looked great at each resolution, but my lowly video card
(nvidia Riva128) couldn't get the framerate's up on the last 2 resolutions.

Did any of this help?

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key