[wplug] mpegs /gtv/plaympeg from Loki

Rich Rosenbaum rrosenbaum at dmralliance.com
Thu Jun 21 17:15:52 EDT 2001

Zach Paine wrote:

<big snip>

> Did any of this help?

ummm, yes and no.....

Loki support says SDL does not do any interpolation.....so, I'm guessing it's
the video card. All of my mpg's are 352x240, and with pretty good bit rates
for compression. It will always (for the time being !?!) run at 640x480 (full
screen for me). That said, I guess I'll need to find a video card that does
hardware interpolation. We'll see :-)..

Maybe we can swap files at the meeting at the General User Meeting Saturday,
July 7 (if you and I are both there) (btw, since it will be my first meeting,
is this something that would normally take place at a general meeting, or
should I ask what _does_ happen at these meetings?

To follow up on my first paragraph, Loki says that since it's open source,
what big companies pay millions of dollars for generally won't happen  for
free (algorythms for lossiness and interpolation). I'm investigating with
video card manufacturers to see how they claim full screen, and does the card
do the interpolation.......but I was told plaympeg does not send a stream to
the card, rather individual frames. It's all new to me, so I'm trying to
learn.....oh well.

Thanks for your help!

Rich