[wplug] The Doc delemia, the ISP list.

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Mon Jul 23 21:00:00 EDT 2001

Sometime in July mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu assaulted keyboard and produced...

|On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 06:33:18PM -0400, Brad Messner wrote:
|> Well, I would have to agree with the Star Office idea.  I use it and
|> prefer it over MS Office.  Honestly, most people won't be able to tell the
|> difference.  Well, except for a few things:  it's cheaper, runs faster,
|> and requires less resources than MS Office.

|Well, this is relatively speaking ;) I think it's a huge memory hog and
|a PITA.  But I also think that when one comes to Linux one should try and
|give up the idiosyncracies of the Windows platform (in exchange for the
|Linux idiosyncracies perhaps ;).  MS Word is one of those.  When you use
|LaTeX (or LyX for the code-cowards ;) you *will* notice the difference.
|Output from a LaTeX processor is very slick and professional looking.
|And when you write long documents, especially any that involve technical
|matters, LaTeX really becomes indispensible.  People pay Adobe lots of
|$$$ for the same stuff that LaTeX has been doing for years, for free.

i must agree on this one. while latex might not be for everyone, i would
strongly encourage anyone who is going to have to write alot to look into
it. the bottom line is that it does alot for you and the printed quality
is hard to accomplish in other programs. my advisor says that latex has a
one paper activation energy. it takes about one paper to get comfortable
with it.

--
john