[wplug] directory replication in linux.

Casey R. Tweten crt at kiski.net
Sat Jan 27 18:21:39 EST 2001

Today around 4:13pm, jmh3 at linuxfreak.com hammered out this masterpiece:

:
: On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Casey R. Tweten wrote:
:
: > Today around 3:58pm, jmh3 at linuxfreak.com hammered out this masterpiece:
: >
: > : hey.
: > :
: > : i'm looking for opinions on something.
: > : i have a home directory on my box at home and at school. what i want to do
: > : is do an initial syncing at home and at school, and i want a program that
: > : will record changes made to files on computer A and apply them to computer
: > : B also. so for example my advisor has a copy of his homedir on his laptop.
: > : he goes to a conference and makes changes to some files. he comes back and
: > : the changes are synced with the network when he returns.
: > :
: > : any thoughts/ideas?
: > :
: > : i looked at rsync, but i'm not sure if it is what i am looking for.
: >
: > I use rsync to get the latest development version of Perl.  It is
: > exactly what you want.  I have a local copy of the development version
: > and when I use rsync it only downloads the files that don't match my
: > local version, i.e. new versions of files or fresh copies of files i
: > have changed.
:
: does it work both ways? like if i make changes on my home computer will it
: sync with the school and vice versa?

Well, I am assuming that you would run the rsync daemon on both
machines and use the client on both machines.  If that's the case
then, yes it will.  Client recieves from the server, in this case
roles may be switched at any time.

--
print(join(' ', qw(Casey R. Tweten)));my $sig={mail=>'crt at kiski.net',site=>
'http://home.kiski.net/~crt'};print "\n",'.'x(length($sig->{site})+6),"\n";