[wplug] Verizon and a Linksys box

Fetherston, Tom Tom.Fetherston at marconi.com
Fri Feb 23 10:28:48 EST 2001

Since there has been some discussion of the Linksys dsl/cable boxes here, I
thought I might ask a question here.

I tried just setting up the box and letting it go to the net itself,
(basically, just typed Verizon's "activation password" into the appropriate
field on the box's self-served web page and checked use PPP).  This did not
work.

Then I figured, maybe the account had to be set up by all the software that
Verizon had sent.  Installed that, and yes, I was lead through an "upgrade
account to dsl" Q&A.  All
worked, but this is hobbled to their (old) version of netscape with "Connect
to Verizon" shortcuts and Menu add-ins.

Now, at this point I ran out of time (this was an installation for a
friend), and left things as
is.  With the weekend looming, am I going to be able to trash the verizon
software and put the linksys in so she (of course their is a woman involved,
I wouldn't do windows if there wasn't) use what ever OS/software she wants?

Tom