[wplug] @home : SETUP

Dr.SDM linux at sdmonline.dhs.org
Thu Feb 22 14:03:33 EST 2001

If you really wanted to be technical and block the port scan, so the isp doesn't see your server or ports...I got this to work at *.dhs.org

If you use a firewall like border manager, or the cheaper version in linux....block all ports with the exception ports you need.  i have found that port scans run on port 528 at destination, so when you ping someone,,,,it will connect you but if the end segment has port 528 closed to go through a server it will not work.  This is from the devine technology of IP Version 6 that is being used more and more by huge backbones. ... this is the next version of IP V4 to give everyone more ip addresses in the world.

AOL - uses this, and many other good internet services now.

Hope this helps....
I got it to work not on @home but my dedicated T-line, however watch yourself, so you don't loose your service....Everything is not perfect.  But remember if you open a port....anyone can get into it...

Dr. SDM