[wplug] @home cable question.

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Thu Feb 22 12:30:59 EST 2001

I recently got a notice from @home that I was assigned a permanent IP and that
they were switching to dhcp, so I should change to that because they might
switch things once in a while.  The interesting thing is the installer had told
me that the address was always reassigned weekly and always to the same
address.  I don't have the last notice handy, but I got the impression from how
it was worded that any switching would not be done often (something about if I
didn't use dhcp, I might on rare occasion need to call and find out my new
number) -- so I'm guessing changes will be no more frequent than weekly, and
probably much less.

This thread has me somewhat confused.  I thought if one knew the IP, one could
simply access it directly without having to bother with a name and nameserver.
Wouldn't that be simpler than updating the nameserver, however infrequent the IP
might change?  It would also create one less possibility of getting the
connection pulled (if the rumors about registering a dhs.org hostname were
correct).

Dave