[wplug] @home cable question.

jmh3 at linuxfreak.com jmh3 at linuxfreak.com
Thu Feb 22 12:40:29 EST 2001

> This thread has me somewhat confused.  I thought if one knew the IP, one could
> simply access it directly without having to bother with a name and nameserver.
> Wouldn't that be simpler than updating the nameserver, however infrequent the IP
> might change?  It would also create one less possibility of getting the
> connection pulled (if the rumors about registering a dhs.org hostname were
> correct).

yeah your right. you can access your box useing only the ip address. it's
just more conveniant to remember something.homeip.net than the number.
plus if you dyndns.org (which can give you *.homeip.net among others) they
have a daemon that you can run. when your ip address changes the daemon
will automatically update the hostname information for you. it's pretty
cool, i've been useing it for the last few months with my dsl and before i
came here i set up some friends to use it from their modem.

i'm not familar with the dhs.org thing, and i've been pretty happy with
dyndns.org.

john