[wplug] The Minimalist Desktop

K. Arun arunk at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 31 17:55:29 EST 2001

Hi,

  Brad> I have an old p-100 machine with 16megs of ram (I will
  Brad> probably upgrade this), 850 mb harddrive, and 512k of video
  Brad> ram.  My question is: can someone suggest a distrobution to
  Brad> use on a machine this bare?  Plus, I would *like* to get x and
  Brad> a desktop running on it.  So, what desktop/window manager
  Brad> would work well on this type of machine?

        Slackware, as someone else suggested, would be a good
distribution for this purpose - as would I believe, Debian. Although
Debian has an enormous number of packages, you can get away with
installing just the base system, adding whatever additional packages
you need later, individually.

        As for your desktop/wm question, if you really want an
'integrated' desktop - you could probably try XFCE
<http://www.xfce.org>. If a plain window manager will suffice, fvwm
is still a very powerful and configurable alternative.

        Cheers,

                                                  -arun