[wplug] The Minimalist Desktop

Brian Sammon brians at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 31 17:37:59 EST 2001

> I have an old p-100 machine with 16megs of ram (I will
> probably upgrade this), 850 mb harddrive, and 512k of
> video ram.  My question is: can someone suggest a

The most painful thing about a setup like this, in my experience, is the
shortage of memory on the video card.  512k will limit you to 800x600 for 256
colors and you might be able to get 1024x768 at 16 colors.  Both of these will
lead to programs not being able to render images and icons well because they
can't get all the colors they need (they're usually not very good about
sharing).
To get 16-bit color, you'll have to go down to something like 560x420 or
smaller.

If you have a PCI or Vesa slot on this computer, I'd suggest keeping your eyes
open for a video card with at least 2MB of memory.  You should be able to find
something at any price point-- you probably could get someone to give you an
old card with 2MB of memory.