[wplug] Building a beowulf (was: ideas for the new year)

Adam Cecchetti hackerc at westol.com
Sun Dec 23 15:21:27 EST 2001

Yes you can build a cluster in a day
I'm currently building my second one as I write this. The easy way to do it
is to install linux on one machine install the approparate packages and then
use partimage.org or systemimager.org. To do the rest.

Depending on your level of expertiese you can build the main image in 4-6
hours. Sometimes less if your an expert in the package your want to install.
For a beginner I'd reccomend mosix.org or mpich (look it up on google) there
both easy to install and configure. Imaging can take a while depending on
your network connection and your machine speed but i'd say it could be done
in 12 hours with 3 or more people. It takes me 2 days to do a 16 machine
cluster by myself, just for a point of comparision.

Any more questions you can email me at hackerc at westol.com

http://cis.stvincent.edu/ceccheta